El Paso County Code Enforcement

There are currently three Code Enforcement Officers that serve the citizens of unincorporated El Paso County. Enforcement action is complaint driven so citizens are encouraged to report their concerns to Code Enforcement. Citizens may report a violation anonymously; however, citizens are encouraged to provide their contact information when submitting a complaint. This information will allow Code Enforcement staff to contact citizens to provide updates or request additional information. Please note that any information provided is subject to the Colorado Open Records Act.

Citizens may report a violation:

Online or by contacting the Planning and Community Development Department at 719-520-6300.

Code Enforcement staff:

Code Enforcement: Before and After

El Paso County Ordinances

96-03 Graffiti
02-01 Noise Levels in Unincorporated El Paso County – Please contact Sheriff’s Department (719) 390-5555
18-01 Requiring the Removal of Weeds and Brush
18-02 Prohibiting the Accumulation of Rubbish
18-03 Removal of Unsafe Buildings

Common Violations

  • Weeds in excess of nine (9) inches in height on parcels less than 2 ½ acres. (Foreclosed properties are not subject to enforcement action.)
  • Accumulation of rubbish
  • Inoperable vehicles (Please contact the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office concerning vehicles parked and/or stored in the public right of way.)
  • Unpermitted structures (Please contact the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department at 719-327-2880.)

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the enforcement process work?

When a complaint about an alleged violation is received, a Code Enforcement Officer conducts an inspection of the property from either the public right of way or from an adjoining property with the consent of that property owner. If the Code Enforcement Officer is able to confirm the violation, a Notice of Violation is mailed to the property owner and/or current occupant of the property. The Notice of Violation provides a description of the violation, the violation reference, the issuing Code Enforcement Officer and his/her contact information. The property owner has at least fourteen (14) days to correct the violation OR to contact the Code Enforcement Officer to discuss additional time to correct the violation.

Why did I receive a Notice of Violation? Code enforcement action is complaint driven. If you received a Notice of Violation, a complaint was received on your property. Citizens that receive a Notice of Violation are encouraged to contact the Code Enforcement Officer listed on the notice if additional time is needed to correct the violation.

Who submitted the complaint to Code Enforcement? Code Enforcement files are considered public record and will include the identity of the complainant unless the complaint was submitted anonymously.

What if the violation is not visible from the public right of way? Enforcement action cannot be taken if Code Enforcement staff is unable to confirm the violation. However, citizens may allow Code Enforcement staff to enter their property to view a violation OR provide documentation and pictures of the violation.